- One pound Arborio rice (2 ½ cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup diced Pancetta
- ½ cup of coarsely chopped leeks, white and light green parts only
- 8 cups (approximately) chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, cut into thin strips
- ¾ cup grated Asiago cheese
- 2-4 tablespoons Mascarpone cheese
- 1 pound North Carolina crab meat, picked and cleaned
- salt & pepper to taste
Bring chicken broth to a simmer in a 3 – 4 quart saucepan. Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a 4 – 5 quart heavy pot over medium heat, add leeks and Pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, for four to six minutes or until leeks are just softened and pancetta is rendered. Stir in rice and cook, stirring, one minute, until kernels are well coated. Stir one cup of simmering broth into rice and cook, stirring constantly and keeping at a strong simmer until liquid is absorbed.
Continue cooking and adding broth, one cup at a time, stirring frequently and letting each addition be absorbed before adding more, until rice is just tender and creamy looking but still “al dente”. This should take between 18 and 22 minutes. Thin the risotto with some of the remaining chicken broth if necessary (there will be some leftover). Remove risotto from heat. Stir in cheese, crab meat, parsley, basil, salt & pepper.