- 1 large bunch of fresh herbs, leaves only, washed and dried (basil, parsley, mint, oregano, tarragon or a medley of your choice)
- 4 medium cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup of nuts (pine-nuts, walnuts, pistachios, pecans, hazelnuts or almonds)
- roughly 3/4 cup, loosely packed and freshly grated Parmesan, Asiago, or Romano cheese
- 3-4 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Using a food processor:
- Pulse nuts lightly, one or two small bursts
- Add herbs and pulse lightly again
- Add garlic and process until a chunky consistency is reached
- Turn processor on and drizzle in olive oil adding more if necessary
- Remove pesto from machine and fold in Parmesan, sea salt and black pepper
- Using a very sharp mezzaluna or chef’s knife: Start chopping the garlic along with about 1/3 of the basil leaves.
- Once this is loosely chopped add more basil, chop some more, add the rest of the basil, chop again.
- Add about half the pine nuts, mince.
- Add the rest of the pine nuts, mince.
- Add half of the Parmesan, mince.
- Add the rest of the Parmesan, and mince.
- The mince should be very fine, transfer to a mixing bowl and add olive oil, sea salt and black pepper to taste.