- 5 lbs raw peanuts in the shell
- 1 ¼ cups Kosher Salt
- 1 ½ gallons water
- ½ cup smoked paprika
- ¼ cup cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ¼ cup peanut oil
In a large stock pot bring peanuts, water, paprika and cayenne pepper to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to a steady simmer and cook, stirring occasionally for 2 to 2 ½ hours.
Remove from heat and strain, reserve 1 cup of the liquid. Cool peanuts until they can be handled. Remove boiled peanuts from the shell (don’t eat too many while you’re peeling).
In a food processor, puree peanuts with cider vinegar and peanut oil adding a small amount of liquid at a time until hummus is desired consistency and creaminess. Spread on flat bread, cracker or toasted baguette.
Heart Healthy Tips
- Great as a snack, topping on salad or ingredient in main dishes
- Excellent source of Vitamin E and healthy unsaturated fats
- Can be challenging to control your portion size of peanuts. Try limiting to a handful.
- Make your own peanut butter or buy Natural Peanut Butter to avoid unhealthy fats and added sugars.