…with wood-fire grilled country ham grits, sautéed spinach and a green tomato relish.
- 1 catfish fillet per serving
- salt and pepper to taste
- corn meal
- vegetable oil
- Green Tomato relish (recipe follows)
- Grit cakes (recipe follows)
- Green Tomato butter (recipe follows)
Directions: Lightly coat a sauté or frying pan with vegetable oil and heat the pan. Meanwhile, season both sides of each catfish fillet with salt and pepper. Lightly coat the meaty side of each fillet in corn meal and place in the hot pan and sauté until golden brown. Flip fish and sauté until cooked through. When cooked, plate with sautéed greens and a grit cake, then top with Green Tomato relish.
Green Tomato Relish
- 2 cups Diced green tomatoes (¼ inch dice)
- 1 ½ to 2 Roasted red peppers, diced roasted red peppers (1/8 inch dice)
- ½ a red onion, diced (¼ inch dice)
- 1 Jalapeno, diced (1/8 inch dice)
- 2 cups of apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons pickling spice
- Pinch of cumin
Directions: Combine apple cider vinegar, sugar and pickling spice in a pot and bring to a boil. Pour over the diced green tomatoes and let sit for two hours. Strain the tomatoes. Toss tomatoes with remaining ingredients and add salt and pepper to taste.
Green Tomato Butter
- 2 green tomatoes
- ½ cup of white wine
- 1lb butter – cubed
Directions: Slice tomatoes. Boil in white wine, strain. In a blender add the butter, and then add the white wine, tomatoes and honey. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 cups of white grits
- ½ cup country ham, diced – ¼ inch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups water
Directions: Boil water and cream. Add grits, then country ham and cook. Add salt and pepper. Put in a sheet pan and let cool. Cut into cakes.
Heart Healthy Tips
- A tasty source of protein (15 grams in a 3 ounce portion)
- High in B-vitamins (Niacin and B 12)
- Save calories by broiling or baking instead of frying.
Sites That Link to this Post
- In the Field » Flavor, NC: Carolina Classics Catfish | April 10, 2014