…with Sugared Walnuts & Lavender.
Makes 15 Tartlets
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Kosher salt
- Dash of red cayenne pepper
- 15 frozen mini phyllo tart shells
- 3 ounces Brie, small-diced
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored, small-diced and tossed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons good honey
- Chopped, fresh lavender (culinary grade – free of pesticide)
In a small sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the walnuts and brown sugar, season with a tiny pinch of salt and a dash of cayenne. Cook, stirring frequently, until the walnuts are slightly toasted and the sugar has melted. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the nuts to cool. Coarsely chop. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the tart shells on the prepared pan. Layer each tart shell with some Brie and apples. Generously drizzle the honey over the tarts and bake until the cheese is slightly melty and the honey has caramelized, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Sprinkle a little chopped lavender and walnuts over each tartlet and serve.
Heart Healthy Tips
- A small portion of cheese can go a long way – when using as a snack limit to a 1 oz serving size.
- Try Greek yogurt (either plain or fruited). The thick consistency and high protein content make for a great ingredient in smoothies.
- Cow’s Milk and yogurt are complete foods containing carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins and minerals.