- 2 Turkey legs & thighs
- 2 Quarts of duck fat (can substitute vegetable oil)
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup salt
- 4 Sprigs of rosemary
- 1 Bay leaf (crushed)
- 1 Teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a small mixing bowl, mix sugar, salt, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, bay leaf, and rosemary.
- Cover the turkey legs in the salt/sugar mixture, place them on a sheet pan. Allow to cure for 2 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees
- Rinse turkey legs and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place in a small pan and cover with rendered duck fat or vegetable oil. Cover pot with aluminum foil and place in oven for approximately one hour or until meat is easy to pull away from the bone.
- Remove from the duck fat and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- In a sauté pan, add a tablespoon of the duck fat and sear the turkey legs until crispy.
– Or –
- Pull meat from bones while legs are still slightly warm.
- Using a knife, chop leg meat in to a rillettes to make a savory bread pudding.